Thursday, July 10, 2014

Pre-Departure Concerns


Imagine leaving the country for the first time and heading to an environment that is both beautiful and challenging in ways that you have never experienced.  What would you be most concerned about? What would you be most excited about? Woven throughout our GIEU experience are exercises to encourage thoughtful reflection pre, during, and post-trip. Many of our students had a moment to share some of their reflections.  See below to read a little about their concerns.

I think that the most challenging part of our trip will be getting comfortable with being completely uncomfortable. Our living conditions, interpersonal interactions, food, and daily life will not be anything like what we have grown used to here at home, and accommodating myself to these changes is sure to be a struggle. I have never left the country before so things like language barriers and cultural differences will certainly take some getting used to.

Not being able to feel clean 24/7 and having no contact with my family.

It's difficult not knowing what we will be doing for these three weeks in the forest. Also being muddy and sweaty sort of concerns me. I'm also worried about all the wildlife that may be dangerous/poisonous.

The environment of the Amazon doesn't worry me -- maybe I'm overconfident but I think the most challenging thing could be staying in such close quarters with the rest of our group for so long under such extreme conditions. I don't necessarily expect conflicts to arise but personality differences can't be changed and there may be some clashes just through the tension of being in such a radically different home environment.

The heat/humidity and bugs... Just being physically uncomfortable! Bug bites and anything else that will make me itchy/uncomfortable.

I guess building relationships, and absorbing all of the amazing things I will see and not missing my family. We are going to be isolated in the rainforest, which is amazing but also means that if someone becomes annoying, there is no where else to escape to. When I don't feel like I get along, I just stop talking (which is hard because I love to talk) and stay in a little shell.

Not being close to the internet. I am not worried in the least about being away from social media. What concerns me is that I will be away from my fantasy baseball team. My friends and I take it very seriously, and I do not want a productive season ruined by having me not check my lineup, I know it's petty.

I think dealing with a completely foreign environment will be challenging because I think it will create barriers to communication. However it will definitely be rewarding to overcome this. I'm most worried about the humidity. 100% of humidity can cause a lot of discomfort.

Adapting to an unfamiliar place, in which the climate and way of life are drastically different from our norm.

Remaining positive despite the dampest and darkest of moments while in the field.  Wet socks, wet clothes, endless mosquitoes and bites....

No comments:

Post a Comment