Saturday, July 26, 2014

Today Me Will Live In The Moment...

July 26, 2014
By Kelsey Du

I thought that today would be an impossible day to write about.  With an hour alone in the jungle and "poetry exercises" being the 2 items on our agenda, I was convinced that I would have nothing interesting to say in here.  To my surprise, today today turned out to be a pretty "top tang" day.

Our post-breakfast activities began with a meditation during which we discused the idea of impermanence (RIP DK's photos) and we followed that up with our hour of solitude in the forest. For me, the hour flew by.  I could have stayed in there all day.
Next, after Harry and Maddie took table naps in the library, we had a group discussion ending with a poetry exercise.  Even though I'm not a big poetry fan, it was a lot of fun.  We broke into 3 groups and wrote three poems one line at a time.    Each poem turned out beautifully and painted an accurate picture of our time here.

After lunch, I desperately needed a nap.  Last night, we discovered a giant cockroach on our porch so I didn't sleep very well.  So, after passing out on my top bunk for about 30 minutes, DK woke me up to help the workers move logs on Matapalo. The sun was out, our "guns" were out, and everyone was dripping with sweat.  The hard work is fulfilling - it's really cool to be a part of the upkeep of this amazing station.


Our last activity for the night was another poetry exercise - this time in teams of 2.  Everyone absolutely killed it.  I'm completely impressed by the talent in this group!

Also, while Jeff was reading his team's poem, Mackenzie hit her head on a pole and turned on the gazebo light -- it was really funny.

The moral of my story is that this place and these people are amazing.  I'm never bored, never disappointed, and I'm always looking forward to the next adventure we will share.

I think the cookie monster accurately sums up the vibe of this trip by saying,
Today me will live in the moment 
unless it's unpleasant in which case
me will eat a cookie.
(shout out to the Festivals, the limon cookies which have stolen my heart)




No comments:

Post a Comment