Wednesday, July 16, 2014

Changing the World

July 16, 2014
By Maddie H

A few weeks ago, I had the opportunity to see Bill Nye give a speech at a hands-on museum in Ann Arbor.  What I remember most about his speech was his message that something that could change the world around us is probably right in front of our eyes.  I keep thinking about this while at TBS because the researchers here are studying amazing things that could lead to huge breakthroughs.   I have a lot of respect for the workers and researchers that spend so much time in these secluded conditions. 
(Above: primatologists and field assistants at TBS)

Yesterday,  I was telling Precious that I had enough butt sweat to quench the thirst of an entire country,  so to say that I'm a little uncomfortable is an understatement.  However,  as each day passes,  I find myself becoming more acclimated to the humidity and rain.  My sleep schedule is a little off,  though.  I screamed in my sleep last night and woke everyone in the cabin up because I had a nightmare that the cabin ceiling turned into a massive cobweb and fell on all of us.  This morning,  my group left at 6am to go to the tower and watch birds. As soon as we got there,  I promptly fell asleep on the floor of the tower platform (45 meters high) for about an hour and a half.  However,  if I was awake,  I imagine I would have seen a good amount of parrots and beautiful birds,  whose names I also would have forgotten. 

The afternoon adventure was a hike on the "lago" trail to the lake.  We took the boat ride,  despite the pouring rain and the boat was pretty unstable.  Our guide,  Jose, said there were fish 4-5 meters long and that was the only fact I needed to hear before I thought about putting on 2 life jackets. Overall,  I'm having a great time (even though I am out of my comfort zone) and I think I will grow from this trip.

(returning from a jungle night hike and discovering an enormous toad under one of the researcher's cabins)

Maddie H. 

No comments:

Post a Comment