Saturday, July 19, 2014

Swimming in the Amazon with Pirahanas

Leo A

July 19, 2014
It was the second day of Guide-less hiking/bird logging today.  Our group, comprising of myself, Marjai, Maddie, Jeff, and Denise K. went on the Lago-Danta-Guacamayo trail. We had much better luck this time as we came across about 10 monkeys over two separate occasions.  We later decided to join the group that was bird logging at Torre 1 -- just to say hi and see what was instore for us tomorrow when it's our turn. 

Upon our return to the station, I among others, took a solid 45 minute nap.  It was sublime.  It's so strange that despite having 8-9 hours of sleep each night, I still feel somewhat exhausted during the day.  Perhaps because I have totally ceased my intake of coffee, or that I'm still adjusting to this relatively more active lifestyle.  

Most significant event today, Youngin walks into the library and tells us that she broke her sink before she breaks into a chuckle.  

We took a boat downthe Tiputini River at 3pm.  I was excited for the boat ride, especially on perfect day like today: we had clear blue skies.  It was perfect for swimming, and that we did.  Most of us went for it despite the countless worries we had.  What are in those waters beyond that brown cover?  What if something bites me?  Or worse, parasites that feed on me from the inside.  Whichever, I (we) did it and we lived to tell the tale that we swam in Amazon among the Pirahnas, stingrays, and caimans and who knows what else. 

Dinner time was something different today.  The lasagna was beside the point, but the rain made it possible for deeper conversations among us.  It is usually the case where we get up andleave not too long after we are done with our meals.  This time, we had a nice chat about our academic interests, jobs, and post-college plans.  Jeff, for example, had lots to share about his job at the mice-testing research lab; Younjin and her plans for grad school and becomming a veterinarian back in Korea; John with his job at z Zoo and possibly a real-estate firm in Texas, and so on. I can't express how delighted I am with such a diverse group of students.  

It's almost time for bed now.  It's also laundry-day tomorrow.  Couldn't be any more pleased.

No comments:

Post a Comment