Thursday, July 17, 2014

First hike without a guide

By Youngin K

July 17, 2014
We changed our group for the first time today.  I was in Jose's group, but I transferred to Mayer's group to have an opportunity to interact with other members of our GIEU Ecuador group.  I learned that the same trailed looked and felt different depending on guides.  Event though I went to the trail "Chorongo" with Jose, "Chorongo" that I went on with Mayer felt different.  Mayer often went off trail  by cutting trees.


We saw a colorful spider that was pink in color and had white spots on it's back.  We also saw a bat hiding inside of a big green leaf.  It was a great morning activitiy.  Mayer gave us presents!  It was a warm and sweet surprise.  The present was a bracelet that was woven from palm fiber with hard red and blue berries.  He told us that it's a good luck charm and to remember him whenever we wear them.  The bracelets made our morning activity even better!
(sketch of bracelet that Meijer gave to his group)
After eating delicious soup and steak, we want to play on the lago trail. Some played soccer and it was an intense game. At 4 PM, we met and I like to hear the print presentation about turtles. The fact that surprised me the most was that turtle eggs that grow over 32°C are female and turtle eggs that grow under 32°C are male.  We also went to see baby turtles. We saw parts of their heads, but we were unable to see the full body of the turtles. It was interesting to hear about the turtles during the presentation. If I get an opportunity, I would like to do research on TBS. TBS is full of amazing experiences. 

No comments:

Post a Comment