Friday, July 18, 2014

Cuidado Por Favor

By Emily L

July 18, 2014
Today was the first day of hiking with guides. Denise K and Kevin led groups, while a guide led a third group to the tower for logging birds. It's incredible, the difference between hikes with and without our guides. Their ability to spot organisms from afar  and pick up on sounds, while the rest of us clunk around, astounds me. We barely saw any animal life by ourselves, but we made up for it by taking more time to admire plants and our surroundings.

I saw Jose, the guide I've had every day, before our hike alone. He is such a kind and caring man, and his communication goes beyond words. He kissed my cheek, hugged me, and said "quidado por favor."


The song of the day or week is apparently "Drunk In Love" by Beyoncé. I think Maddie has played the song at least five times on her iPod, and Precious rocked it out every time. Everyone seems to like the "surfboard" line.

We began our copper work today, and the talent and creativity coming from our members is awesome. Yunjin drew a woodpecker with a leaf background in 15 minutes flat.  Their talent is wonderful, but makes me a little frustrated because I can't even begin to translate my idea onto paper.  I'm grateful for those who have offered me help, or extended consideration and acceptance to me in general.  I was worried about making great relationships in our group, but there's no judging here, and the openess and comradory here is one of the best parts.
(Above: students begin to sketch images they will transfer to copper with embossing tools.)






No comments:

Post a Comment